The American Medical Association owns the rights to all CPT® (current procedural terminology) codes and is enforcing the collection of licensing fees.
Similar to all practice management and EHR companies, we are required to collect licensing fees for CPT® codes annually on behalf of the AMA. Fees should be collected via your primary payment method, the fee is $18.50 per provider.
For more information on the AMA CPT® Code licensing fees, please visit this link.
- Do I need to pay for providers who are not using AMA CPT® codes?
No, providers who have not used or will not use CPT® codes during the calendar year will not be charged.
- Will I be charged sales tax for the AMA CPT codes licensing fee?
Applicable taxes will not be charged on this billing cycle but may be charged in the future.
- Will the fee be raised next year?
We will communicate ahead of time about any future CPT® Code fee increases made by the AMA.
When will billing take place for yearly AMA CPT code usage?
These annual fees will appear on your regular invoice on or after February 1st.
- Can I pay the AMA directly?
No, the AMA will charge all practice management and EHR companies for the use of their CPT® codes. For this reason, we will be collecting the fees on their behalf.
- How is Fusion Enterprise identifying providers who have used CPT® Codes?
Each user that has had a checked-in appointment on the schedule will be considered eligible for the AMA Licensing Fee.
- How will the fee appear on my Fusion Enterprise invoice?
The charge description will say "AMA CPT License Fee".
- I use other billing tools with these codes too. Do I only need to pay this fee once per year, per provider or will I need to pay for each billing tool I use?
The AMA is charging all practice management systems and EHRs a licensing fee per provider for use of the AMA CPT® Codes. We are unaware of how other billing software and solutions plan to accommodate these fees.
For Therapy Brands practice management and EHR solutions, your account will be charged $18.50 per provider that uses CPT® Codes.
- How much does Fusion Enterprise profit from these fees?
Fusion Enterprise does not profit from the AMA Licensing Fees. The cost per qualified provider is for the usage of the AMA CPT codes.
The total cost per qualified provider is $18.50 - this includes the $17.50 AMA CPT code licensing fee and a $1.00 processing fee.