How to Send Out Patient Statements in Fusion Enterprise:
Go to Invoicing | Statement Generation
The Statement Generation dialog is divided into two tabs: Batch Creation and Batch Output.
- The Batch Creation tab is used to view potential statements based on the criteria that you select. These statements may then be grouped into a batch or batches and set for output.
- The Batch Output tab is used to output the batched statements to a printer, a text file, a pdf file, an email, or to the screen.
When a batch is created, Fusion Enterprise sets the Date of Last Statement for the case; you are therefore able to ensure patients are only receiving statements at a frequency of your choosing (once per month, once every two weeks, etc.).
To create new statements, they must first be generated. The drop-down list in the Statement Generation | Batch Creation area allows you to select the clinic for which you wish to generate statements, and the Min Days Since Last Statement you wish to generate (i.e. at least 27 days since the last statement for a monthly cadence).
NOTE: When the list is generated, you are only viewing the statements that are ready to be output based on the criteria you selected. This step does not change the Date of Last Statement for a patient. This occurs when a statement is put into a batch for output
The option Statement Generation by Case can be used If you only need to do one specific case, for instance as a final bill.
When the Generate button is pressed, Fusion Enterprise will find all cases that are ready to have a statement generated. This will be all cases that have not gotten a statement in the specified number of days and have visits that are not at an Invoice State of Bill Complete. These cases will then be displayed in the list on the right. Any cases that generate an error will show up on the grid marked in red and will contain a reason in the Message column as to why the case’s statement cannot be generated (such as 'Billing Held', or 'Unknown Statement Format'). As in Claim Generation, we can hit the generate button at any time and all of the statements will be refreshed with the latest information.
There are lots of different ways to group and batch statements by filtering and using the available columns. You can use the Field Chooser to add in any columns you find helpful, such as Aging bins. You may wish to batch all your severely past due accounts together and put a special message on those statements. You may wish to group everyone who is on their first statement and include a special welcome letter with their statements. Regardless of the reason you are batching statements together you can narrow the list down and select just the ones you wish.
Before batching your statements there are a few Options/Settings on the left that may be set that will affect the batch.
- Statement Date - Allows you to set the date for the statement
- Summarize Before - Allows you to enter a date. This will take all visits before this date and summarize them in one line. This helps save space for accounts that may be excessively long.
- Include Aging - Will bring the aging bins onto the statement (Current, 30-60, 60-90, 90-120, etc).
- Estimated Payment Schedule View - This simply toggles the column on the grid from 'Due' to 'EPS Due'. If you are using the Statement Format of "EPS" you will want to use the EPS View so that you can easily see what amount will show on the statement. (Note: This does not change the amount on the statement, just how it's displayed in the grid. The statement format is what determines whether the statement pulls the 'Due' or 'EPS Due' amounts).
Once you have your settings configured you are ready to start a batch. Check the statements you wish to output by checking them, right-clicking, and selecting ‘Mark-All’ or highlight a range of statements and right-click and select ‘Toggle Selection’. Once you have statements selected right-click and select ‘Start Batch’
At this point, you will have the opportunity to select a Dunning Message. Use the dropdown to choose the appropriate message. (Dunning Messages are entered via Administration | General Information | Billing | Statement Messages.)
Clicking OK creates a group of statements that are now accessible for output. In the lower-left corner, you can see the Batch Status. Once this processing is complete, you will then go to the Batch Output tab to output the statements.
Batches can be retrieved in two ways – By Batch or By Case.
- Selecting the drop-down in the By Batch area shows batches generated in the last week.
- Selecting <more> will allow you to specify a date range in order to retrieve older batches.
Once a batch is selected, clicking Retrieve will display the statements from that batch in the batch output area. Typing a case number in the By Case area, or choosing a patient using the ellipsis, and clicking Retrieve will retrieve all statements previously batched for a single case.
To output a statement, the Output box must be checked. Click each box or right-click and Mark All. Then you can right-click Output and choose your output type.
NOTE: Single statements may be output to any medium; however, if multiple statements are selected, the media options are limited to Printer, Text, or Email.